Monday, June 14, 2010

Post 10 - Annoyed and Astonished

The directions for our blog states that venting is an appropriate entry; thank goodness because I'm getting a bit annoyed. My annoyance is with people in both LIS 2600 and LIS 2000. I read the general discussion board posts and am astonished by some of the questions or comments posed. First of all, as a teacher I expect my students to read, consider, and attempt assignments before asking questions. Often I will not answer any questions unless a student can prove to me that he/she truly does not understand and has already attempted the assignment independently. This is the only way students can develop skills and critical thinking; they get to a hurdle in an assignment and must find a way around it or sometimes through it. It astonishes me how graduate students in these two courses immediately complain or question the assignments without first truly attempting and looking through all of the options. I know I have had to use Google to find out information to complete the assignments, so why does this seem to be so difficult for others in the course.

In addition to the "quick to question" colleagues, I am somewhat embarrassed for a few students in the LIS 2000 class. Recently, several students have questioned the professors about course design and requirements. Here's the answer: they are the professors, so drop it and do what is required of you. Who cares about due dates and why things happen in a certain way? They do, so deal. Personally, I would never question a professor about why things are done in a certain way; it's teaching and everyone has a style and design. If someone doesn't like it, then get out of the program or drop the class. It's embarrassing to the students writing the posts questioning the professors about course design, and if I were the professors I wouldn't even waste time trying to answer the questions because they are ridiculous. It's making me so angry also because if one has a specific question email the professor; don't post on discussion board; it shows a lack of respect on your part towards the professors and is completely ridiculous. Personally, my courses this summer are very different from what I am used to, and I am still figuring out how the content fits into the school library, but I'm not questioning anything. If nothing else, I'm learning about information that I was not familiar with before and that will only help me in my own library.

Maybe I'm just uptight because this is my fifth semester in the MLIS program, so I'm used to everything, but seriously if people aren't happy get out; quit complaining and do something because right now the posts are just annoying and ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment